Iowa Senate News Release
For Immediate Release: March 9, 2018
Statement by Senator Joe Bolkcom on updated revenue estimates
“You can’t put lipstick on a pig. No matter how Statehouse Republicans try to spin it, they still have a giant budget mess on their hands.
“Here’s the truth:
- Governor Reynolds and legislative Republicans have NO agreement on how to balance the current year’s budget.
- Governor Reynolds and legislative Republicans have NO plan for balancing next year’s budget.
- Statehouse Republicans have put $144 million on the state’s credit card in an attempt to balance FY17 budget.
- Governor Reynolds and legislative Republicans are moving a bloated tax plan that gives most of the benefits to millionaires and big corporations.
- Governor Reynolds and legislative Republicans are laying the groundwork to break a promise to Iowans that will result in higher property taxes.
“What’s to blame? An agenda by Governor Reynolds and legislative Republicans that includes grossly under-funding our local schools; turning Iowa’s respected, state-run Medicaid safety net into a national disaster; weakening the rights of workers and driving down wages; and showering out-of-state corporations with an all-you-can-eat buffet of tax cuts and tax credits.
“Senate Democrats still stand ready to work with legislative Republicans and the Governor on a mid-course correction that will restore fiscal stability to our state budget by investing in our schools and job-creation initiatives, and taking a serious look at out-of-control spending on tax credits.”