SF 304-Prohibiting licensing sanctions for student loan default
SF 304 requires the state’s licensing boards to adopt rules that prohibit suspension or revocation of a professional license because the licensee is in default or delinquent on repayment of postsecondary education loans, solely on the basis of such default or delinquency.
The bill repeals Iowa Code sections relating to the process by which the Iowa College Student Aid Commission can initiate action to deny, revoke or suspend a license to someone who has defaulted. According to Iowa Student Aid Commission, they do not use this process now.
[3/11: 46-0 (Absent: Elder, J. Smith, Zaun; Vacant: Danielson)]
SF 305– Supplemental Nutrition Assistance and child support
SF 305 requires that an individual who is delinquent in child support while receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to cooperate with the Child Support Recovery Unit to meet the requirements of their child support order. Currently, 89 percent of SNAP recipients are on other programs, such as Medicaid or Family Investment Program (FIP), that already require compliance with child support orders. The bill would require the Iowa Department of Human Services to set up monitoring of the remaining 11 percent of SNAP recipients.
[3/13: 46-3 (No: Bolkcom, Celsi, Quirmbach; Vacant: Danielson)]
SF 484-Electronic benefits transfer cards
SF 484 makes a person who possesses three or more electronic benefit transfer cards (EBT) to which they are not authorized guilty of a fraudulent practice. A law enforcement officer who has probable cause to believe that a person possesses an unauthorized EBT card must report the name on the EBT card and the name of the person in possession of the EBT card to the Iowa Department of Inspection and Appeals.
[3/13: 48-0 (Absent: T. Taylor; Vacant: Danielson)]