Herman Quirmbach was elected in 2022 to his sixth term in the Iowa Senate. He represents Senate District 25, which includes almost all of the city of Ames and also Grant Township in Story County.
Senator Quirmbach is an Assistant Democratic Leader.
Herman represents the Senate on the College Student Aid Commission, the Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Commission, the Iowa Comprehensive Health Insurance Association Board, the School Finance Formula Review Committee, and the Midwestern Higher Education Compact.
Herman is active in the Ames Kiwanis Club, the League of Women Voters of Ames and Story County, the Ames Chamber of Commerce, and the Story County Democratic Party. He has also served as Co-Chair of the Ames Veterans Memorial Committee and is currently the Treasurer and Past President of the Ames Patriotic Council.
Herman has received a number of awards for his Senate service, including:
- Exemplary Service Award from Iowa Alliance for Arts Education (2016)
- Education Award from the NAACP-Ames Branch (2016)
- Pacesetter Award from the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading (2013)
- Safe Community Partners Award from the Iowa Coalition Against Domestic Violence (2012)
- Gift of Clean Air Champion Award from CAFE Iowa (2012)
- Iowa League of Cities’ Legislative Service Award (2010)
- Public Health Award for Smoke-free Leadership, Story County Tobacco Task Force (2008)
- Stick Your Neck Out Award from the National Association for the Mentally Ill (2005)
He served on the Ames City Council from 1995 through 2003 and was Ames Mayor Pro Tem in 2002. He has been a member of the Story County REAP Committee, the Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau Board, and the Ames Utility Retirement Board.
Herman graduated from Brookfield (WI) Central High School. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government with honors from Harvard University in 1972 and Masters (1980) and PhD (1983) degrees in Economics from Princeton University. He served for 29 years as an economics professor at Iowa State University.
Senator Quirmbach serves on the following committees:
- Education (Ranking Member)
- Local Government
- Ways and Means
- Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee
Contact Senator Quirmbach directly at 515-292-8984 and email@example.com or follow him on social media.