Amanda Ragan was elected in 2010 to her third term in the Iowa Senate. She represents Franklin, Butler and Cerro Gordo counties.
Senator Ragan is an Assistant Senate Majority Leader, chair of the Human Resources Committee and vice-chair of the Health & Human Services Budget Subcommittee. She also serves on the Appropriations, Natural Resources & Environment, Rules & Administration and Veterans Affairs committees.
Amanda is active in her local area. Community service includes State of Iowa Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa (HAWK-I) Board of Directors; member of Mason City Chamber of Commerce; Hampton Chamber of Commerce; Clear Lake Chamber of Commerce; Mason City Sunrise Rotary; Francis Lauer Youth Services Board of Directors; North Iowa Band Festival Planning Committee; member of Trinity Lutheran Church; former member of the Buena Vista University Alumni Foundation; and past member of Northern Lights Homeless Shelter Board.
Amanda has also served on the Mason City Sesquicentennial Committee, the Iowa Democratic Party State Central Committee, the Mason City Sunrise Rotary Board, the Kinney Pioneer Museum Board, and the Buena Vista University Alumni Association Board.
Amanda is Executive Director of two non-profit agencies, The Community Kitchen of North Iowa and Mason City Meals On Wheels.
Amanda was raised near Rockwell and now lives in Mason City. She graduated from Rockwell-Swaledale High School and received her A.A. Degree from North Iowa Area Community College. She graduated cum laude from Buena Vista University with a B.A. in Human Services.
Amanda is married to Jim Ragan, a retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Colonel. She has two grown children, Edith and Charles, and four grandchildren.
Recognitions and Honors
- Voice of Children Award 2012- Orchard Place
- 2011 Legislator of the Year- IA Hospital Association
- Outstanding Service Award for 2012, 2011,2010, 2009, and 2008 - Iowa Health Care Association and Iowa Center for Assisted Living
- 2010 Champion of Renewable Fuels – - Iowa Renewable Fuels Association
- Above & Beyond Legislative Award – - Iowa Family Development Alliance
- 2008 Certificate of Appreciation – - Heartland Power Cooperative and Iowa Rural Electric Cooperatives
- 2008 Iowa Dental Legislative Award
- 2007 Certificate of Appreciation – - Charles City Foster Grandparent Program
- 2006 Iowa Public Health Official of the Year Award – - Iowa Public Health Association
- 2005 Protector of Children Award – - Coalition of Family & Children’s Services in Iowa